This page contains information Continuing Education for ASl Licensees and ASL Registrants.
ASL Continuing Education
The Alarm System Licensing Board's Continuing Education (CE) requirements became effective July 1, 2002. The rules require each licensee to complete at least six hours of CE training during each two-year renewal period. Registered employees are required to complete three hours of CE training during each renewal period. As a result, anyone renewing a license or registration on or after July 1, 2002, must have completed his or her CE hours within the previous two-year licensing or registration period.
In addition, the Board has also determined that any application for a new registration, where the employee has been registered for any time period during the previous two years, will also require submission of the CE certificate prior to issuance of the new registration. This does not apply to transfer or duplicate applications, since the expiration date of the registration period remains the same.
Important Note: While all licensees must complete the CE training, these requirements only apply to registrants who are engaged in installation, service, sales or monitoring of alarm systems (as per Rule 11 .0501). Some employees who are required to be registered, such as those in clerical/secretarial positions, will not be required to complete the CE credits. Upon submitting a registration renewal to the ASLB offices, the licensee or designee must indicate that the registrant is not engaged in installation, service, sales or monitoring of alarm systems and is not required to complete the CE.
To receive Continuing Education credit, a licensee or registrant must:
- Attend a Board-approved CE course.
- Sign the ASLB Attendance Roster upon arrival at the training class site.
- Obtain a CE Attendance Certification from the instructor upon completion of the class.
- Attach the Attendance Certification to the license/registration renewal form and submit it to the ASLB office when renewing the license or registration.
To obtain Alarm System Licensing Board approval of Continuing Education courses:
- Download an application for CE course approval or obtain one from the ASLB office.
- Submit the completed application and course outline to the ASLB office.
- The Board's CE subcommittee will review the course to determine if it is pertinent to the industry, and if it meets its stated objectives.
- These findings will be reported to the Board's Education & Training Committee, which will then recommend to the full Board to accept or deny course approval.
- If approved, the course is assigned a number and the course sponsor is sent a notice of approval (courses will be approved for four years).
- Once the class is scheduled, the sponsor must notify the ASLB Secretary. The sponsor will then be sent an Attendance Roster and a Course Attendance Certification. At the end of the course, the instructor must provide an Attendance Certification to all persons completing the class.