Family Computer Rules
Creating Family Rules for Internet Use
When possible, have your family computer rules in place before your children begin using the computer. Children will find it easier to accept and obey rules that have already been established. Some of the decisions to consider in creating family rules would include:
- Do you want your children to ask you before they access the Internet?
- Do you want to limit the time your children access the Internet? If so, how much time per week or day?
- Do you want to specify when your children may access the Internet? If so, which hours?
- Do you want to permit your children to use email? If so, do you want to share an email account with them or have access to their account?
- Do you want to permit your children to use instant messaging? If so, do you want to approve their "buddies/friends" list and require them to provide you with an updated copy of that list?
- Do you want to permit your children to enter chat rooms? If so, do you want to limit them to certain chat rooms that you have approved?
Tips from the SBI's Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force