To deter a potential thief, a bicycle should have its owner's NCDL or other ID number engraved on its frame. This number, along with the bicycle's serial number and description, should be recorded and kept on hand for police in case of a theft. A few proactive steps can also be taken to increase the security of your bicycle.
- Never leave your bicycle unattended.
- Always store your bicycle in a safe place.
- If you cannot store your bike inside, secure it from theft with a good chain and lock.
- Avoid leaving even a locked bicycle in a public area overnight.
- Do not leave detachable items unsecured on your bicycle. If you have a pouch for carrying money and small items attached to your seat, empty it or take it with you.