Auto theft is big business and the pros can enter and steal a car within seconds. By following a few common rules when using your automobile, you can greatly reduce your chance of becoming a victim of theft.
- Always lock your vehicle.
- Park in well-lit, populated areas that are easily observed by passers-by.
- Never leave the keys inside your car or the engine running unattended.
- Engrave audio and phone equipment with your NCDL or ID number.
- Always lock valuables in the trunk; never leave them in plain view.
In the event of an auto theft, have a thorough description of your vehicle (including serial and license plate numbers) ready for the police. Report the stolen vehicle as soon as possible!