A maximum of $30,000 (plus an additional $5,000 for funeral expenses if the victim dies). Benefits are paid directly to service providers with the exception of out-of-pocket expenses paid by victim or claimant.

Please note that pursuant to N.C.G.S. 15B-2(1):

Allowable expense for medical care, counseling, rehabilitation, medically-related property, and other remedial treatment and care of a victim shall be limited to sixty-six and two-thirds percent (66 2/3%) of the amount usually charged by the provider for the treatment or care.  By accepting the compensation paid as allowable expense pursuant to this subdivision, the provider agrees that the compensation is payment in full for the treatment or care and shall not charge or otherwise hold a claimant finalcially responsible for the cost of services in addition to the amount of allowable expense.

Victims may be compensated for any reasonable charges incurred for reasonable needed products, services and accommodations including those for medical care, rehabilitation, medically related property and other remedial treatment and care. All available insurance or other health care assistance must be identified and used. (Medicare, Medicaid, health or auto insurance, etc.) The program does not compensate victims for damaged or stolen property.

Any collateral source such as Medicaid, or a public or private insurance plan must be filed when available. General Statute 15B states that assistance shall be denied or reduced to the extent the medical expenses are recouped through a public or private insurance plan or other victim benefit source.

Domestic Violence Household Support Benefit
Assists victims of domestic violence by providing $50 per week for each dependent child and is limited to 26 weeks. However, it shall not exceed $300 per week if the following conditions are met:

  • Must be married and living with their spouse at the time of the victimization.
  • Unemployed at the time of the victimization.
  • Has one or more children residing in the household at the time of the victimization.
  • The victimization occurred on or after October 26, 1998. If the victim moves back in with the spouse, the victim is no longer eligible for benefit.

Funeral Expense Benefit
The funeral expense benefit does not pay for flowers, gravestone, and other items not directly related to the funeral service. It does pay for:

  • Burial
  • Cremation
  • Transportation of body
  • Maximum of $5,000

What may be compensated?

  • Medical expenses (i.e. doctors, hospitals, lab tests, ambulance, therapy)
  • Counseling
  • Loss of wages
  • Funeral expenses - maximum of $5,000
  • Prosthetics
  • Eyeglasses
  • Dental work
  • Wheelchair ramp/widening of doors
  • Hospital bed
  • Crime scene cleanup such as door or window locks, car interiors (cleaning of blood)

What may not be compensated?

  • Pain and suffering
  • Property loss or damaged property

Work loss benefit
A claim for work loss will be paid only upon proof that the injured person was gainfully employed at the time of the criminally injurious conduct.

  • Copy of physician statement
  • Copy of employer's statement
  • Maximum of $300 per week
  • Maximum of 26 weeks

Requirements for compensation

  • Victim must be innocent of criminal activity and contributory misconduct.
  •  Services must be received within one year of date of incident, except for children 10 years-old or younger (they can have as much as two years of services that Victims Comp may pay for)
  • A notarized application. This application must be filed or received with Victims Compensation Services within two years of the date of the incident or date of disclosure with juvenile victims of sexual offenses.
  • Crime must be reported to law enforcement or warrant obtained within 72 hours from the date of the incident or show good cause for the delay.
  • Must fully cooperate with law enforcement and be willing to prosecute. · Must fully cooperate with Victims Compensation Services in requests for information or assistance.
  • Any collateral source such as Medicaid, or a public or private insurance plan must be filed when available.
  • The criminal act must have occurred in the State of North Carolina. If the crime occurs in another state, the application must be filed there. Victims may contact the Victims Comp office to obtain information about another state program.