- Prisons - Mountain Region
- Albemarle Correctional Institution
- Alexander Correctional Institution
- Avery-Mitchell Correctional Institution
- Brown Creek Correctional Institution
- Buncombe Correctional Center
- Caldwell Correctional Institution
- Catawba Correctional Center
- Craggy Correctional Center
- Foothills Correctional Institution
- Gaston Correctional Center
- Lanesboro Correctional Institution
- Lincoln Correctional Center
- Marion Correctional Institution
- Mountain View Correctional Institution
- Rutherford Correctional Center
- Swannanoa Correctional Center
- Wilkes Correctional Center
Swannanoa Correctional Center for Women
Inmate capacity: 366
Inmate gender: Female
Custody level: Minimum
Staff Size: 126
Occupancy: July 2008
P.O. Box 609
Black Mountain, N.C. 28711-0609
55 Lake Eden Road
Black Mountain, N.C. 28711
Facility # 4635
Courier # 12-84-09
Swannanoa Correctional Center for Women opened on July 7, 2008. Women previously housed at Black Mountain Correctional Center for Women were transferred to Swannanoa on that date.
SCCW has completed renovations on four dormitories, Greenwood, Frye, Sloop and Gilliat. Renovations on the vocation building have provided inmates with an educational classroom and an operating greenhouse.
The Inmate Construction Program is currently renovating the Buchanan building in order to continue to accommodate the increasing inmate population and offer more educational classrooms and a medical wing.
Visitation is on Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. according to inmates last names, A-K and L-Z. One group is in the morning, the other in the afternoon. After six months, the groups rotate mornings and afternoons.
Interstate 40 west to exit 59, turn right off the ramp to the traffic light. Turn right onto U.S. 70 East. At the first intersection, turn left onto Whittson Avenue. At the stop sign, turn left onto Old U.S. 70 to the first traffic light. Turn left onto Lake Eden Road. Turn left at Prisons Facility Sign onto access road, then left into the prison gate.
« this page last modified 01/28/15 »