Disaster Assistance - Individuals & Families

Financial Assistance

FEMA provides financial assistance to disaster survivors through low-interest loans (via the U.S. Small Business Administration) or grants that do not have to be repaid. FEMA assistance is non- taxable and will not affect eligibility for Social Security, Medicaid or other federal benefits.

Survivors should first file a claim with their insurance company, then register with FEMA. While FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, underinsured applicants may receive help after their claims have been settled. 

Find help at a Disaster Recovery Center near you. Click here for a list of openings.

What are Disaster Recovery Centers?

What are Disaster Recovery Centers?

Disaster Recovery Centers Can Help

If you need help registering for disaster assistance, visit a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC). The DRCs are staffed by Disaster Survivor Assistance teams who can:
•    Register survivors for disaster assistance,
•    Help survivors update their records and information with FEMA, and
•    Make referrals to local, state, and voluntary agency partners.

Recovery specialists from FEMA, SBA, the state and other interests staff the centers to provide in-person support and guidance for those who need help filing applications.

Centers are accessible to people with disabilities. Centers have assistive technology allowing disaster survivors to use amplified telephones, phones that display text, amplified listening devices for people with hearing loss, and magnifiers for people with vision loss. Video Remote Interpreting is available and in-person sign language is available by request. The centers also have accessible parking, ramps and restrooms.

Disaster survivors can visit any center for assistance. Visit www.fema.gov/DRC to view other locations.

What do I need to do before visiting a Disaster Recovery Center?

What do I need to do before visiting a Disaster Recovery Center?

Homeowners, renters and businesses should register for disaster assistance before visiting a recovery center. 

Four ways to register with FEMA:

  • Visiting DisasterAssistance.gov.
  • Calling 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585).
  • Using the FEMA app.
  • Texting DRC and a zip code to 43362 (4FEMA). Standard message and data rates apply.

The following information is helpful when registering:

  • Address of the location where the damage occurred (pre-disaster address).
  • Current mailing address.
  • Current telephone number.
  • Insurance information.
  • Total household annual income.
  • Routing and account number for checking or savings account (this allows direct transfer of funds into a bank account).
  • A description of disaster-caused damage and losses.
Other Types of Help

Other Types of Help

Help is available

Several types of help are available for North Carolinians who suffered loss due to Hurricane Florence.  

Crisis Counseling - Call the Disaster Help Hotline at 800-985-5990.

Insurance claim process – Call 855-408-1212 or visit NCHurriClaims.com

Disaster Unemployment – Call 866-795-8877 or visit 

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – Call 866-719-0141 or visit 

Disaster Fraud or Scams – Call 877-5-NOSCAM or file a complaint at ncdoj.gov