The purpose of the Academic Assistance Program is for workforce planning and development. It provides a tool for managers and employees to support academic activities that directly relate to the organization's identified knowledge, skills, and behaviors, and which support the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
The Academic Assistance Program provides reimbursement of academic costs if funds are available, and/or time off the job if the course is available only during working hours.
To be eligible to receive assistance, employees must be:
- Permanent full-time or part-time (half-time or more)
- Time-limited permanent
- Probationary and trainee after satisfactory performance for a period of not less than three months, as determined by management
Requests should be submitted prior to the time the employee is to begin classes. To apply for academic assistance:
- Discuss proposed course/degree program with your supervisor to determine that it is job related and eligible for reimbursement;
- Complete an Application for Academic Assistance (CCPS-135 Rev 7/05) prior to enrolling in the course,
- Obtain supervisory and division approval,
- Complete one form for each course.
Upon satisfactory completion of the job-related course, eligible employees may apply for reimbursement of tuition. To apply for reimbursement:
- Attach a copy of grade (must make a "C" or better) and receipt to approved Application for Educational Assistance,
- Complete Section III of the application (amount to be reimbursed, signature and date)
- Forward the original and two copies of the application, grade and receipt to your Division Headquarters,
- Reimbursement requests should be submitted with thirty (30) days of course completion.