Current Administrative Rules
The Department of Public Safety rules are located by subchapters in Title 14B of the North Carolina Administrative Code.
Periodic Review of Existing Administrative Rules
- N.C. Gen. Stat. §150B-21.3A, adopted in 2013, requires state agencies to review existing rules every 10 years. DPS rules will be reviewed on a schedule established by the North Carolina Rules Review Commission. As DPS rules are reviewed and become available for public comment, they will be made available on the DPS website.
- Public Comment: If you would like to receive notices regarding rules undergoing rules review that are open for public comment under N.C. Gen. Stat. §150B-21.3A; or leave public comment about these rules, please subscribe to our mailing list by completing this online form, and selecting "Rules" from the dropdown menu under "Select a Recipient."
“Public comment” is defined by G.S. 150B-21.3A(a)(5) as a written objection to all or part of a rule. Additionally, pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A(c)(2), in order for the Rules Review Commission to determine whether the public comment has merit, the public comment must address the specific substance of the rule and address any of the standards of Commission review, as set forth in G.S. 150B-21.9(a).
Rules Pending Review
- G.S. 150B-21.3A Report for 14B NCAC 17, NORTH CAROLINA ALARM SYSTEMS LICENSING BOARD
- G.S. 150B-21.3A Report for 12 NCAC 03, NC STATE BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
- G.S. 150B-21.3A Report for 14B NCAC 06, ALCOHOL LAW ENFORCEMENT
- G.S. 150B-21.3A Report for 14B NCAC 18, DIVISION OF CRIMINAL INFORMATION