The Department of Public Safety offers paid ($15 an hour), 12-week internship opportunities to qualified college students. The internships give students a glimpse of careers and operations within the department. Areas of focus include: Alcohol Law Enforcement, Emergency Management (Homeland Security), Juvenile Justice, State Bureau of Investigation, State Capitol Police, State Highway Patrol and National Guard.
The internships are created through Gov. Roy Cooper's Task Force for Racial Equity in Criminal Justice, and enacted through Executive Order 145. They are established for students enrolled at Historically Black Colleges and Universities or Minority Serving Institutions and offer experiences in criminal justice, emergency management, law enforcement and public safety.
Students will experience a semester-long in-person program consisting of rotating two-week blocks. Participation from beginning to end is required. Weeks will be four days (M-Th) focusing on an area of interest, with an enrichment program every other Thursday. Specific areas of focus include:
- Bomb Squad
- Civil Disobedience Events
- Crime Labs
- Defensive Tactics
- Executive Protection
- Forecasting Storms
- Hazard Mitigation
- Hazardous Materials
- Homeland Security
- HR, Personnel Selection
- Investigating Computer Crimes
- Investigating Financial Crimes
- K-9 Program
- Motor Carrier Enforcement
- Recovery from Emergency Events
- Vehicle Accident Investigation
- Vehicle Stops
- Wake County Detention Center
- Junior or senior in good academic standing (GPA of 2.5 or higher) at Historically Black College or University or a Minority Serving Institution.
- Majoring in criminal justice, emergency management, homeland security, social work, psychology, sociology or other human service degree programs
- Interns must consent to a background check and fingerprinting OR consent to agency onboarding requirements
- Internships are established in the Raleigh area. The program schedule is a hybrid virtual/in-person rotation. Email email@example.com with any questions or concerns.