Help Recovering

Survivors in North Carolina with property damage from the April 16 storms and tornadoes may apply for grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses and other disaster assistance.

To apply for help, register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) online at or call 800-621-FEMA (3362). Those with hearing or speech impairment can use TTY 800-462-7585. Operators speak many languages.

Survivors can also apply for federal assistance directly through their web enabled mobile phone devices or smartphones. Visit and follow the link to to apply for federal assistance.

The last day to register is July 5, 2011.

Registration through the mobile site takes three steps:

  1. Go to and click "Apply Online for FEMA Assistance." You will be directed to our partner site,
  2. Click on "Start Registration"
  3. Fill out the registration form

FEMA will ask you for the following information:

  • The telephone number where you can be reached.
  • The address where you lived at the time of the disaster and the address where you stay now.
  • Your Social Security number.
  • A general description of damage to your property and other losses.
  • The name of your insurance company and your policy number or agent if you have property insurance.
  • Your bank account routing information if you want FEMA to use direct deposit.

Here's what happens after you register:

If you report property damage, FEMA will call you within a few days to arrange for an inspector to look at your property.

Everyone who registers with FEMA will get a letter telling them whether or not their losses qualify for FEMA assistance.

If you have questions or need help registering, you can visit a disaster recovery center to talk one-on-one with recovery specialists. Locations of these centers will be announced shortly.

The toll free FEMA registration numbers are available seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.

FEMA's Individual Assistance program can help eligible applicants with temporary housing assistance, uninsured personal property losses and medical, dental, and funeral expenses caused by the disaster, along with other disaster-related expenses and serious needs. Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration also will be available to cover residential and business losses not covered by insurance.



From the Attorney General's Office:

Natural Disasters
This is a link with information on the following:

  • Home Repairs
  • Car Repair
  • Price Gouging
  • Landlord-Tenant Issues
  • Charitable Solicitations
  • Floor Related Issues
  • Important Phone Numbers
  • Complaint Forms



The Governor's Hotline

State officials activated the Governor's Hotline April 19. People who want to volunteer or donate goods can call toll free 1-888-835-9966.

The hotline will be staffed daily from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m., Monday through Saturday.