ALE is responsible for enforcing the state bingo laws to prevent commercialized gambling. A bingo game is a specific game of chance and is legal only if the charitable organization has a current Charitable Bingo License. ALE's Bingo Administrator is responsible for licensing and overseeing the charitable organizations' operations and making sure they are in compliance with the state's administrative bingo laws, including internal audits as needed.
During 2014, ALE's Bingo Licensing Section issued over 200 licenses. This section is statutorily required to monitor all licensed bingo operations to ensure compliance with the law and to conduct annual audits of financial records. Based on available data, these organizations report nearly $15 million in gross receipts annually.
Bingo complaints from the public are processed through ALE and distributed to the appropriate ALE District Office for investigation. In 2014, ALE Special Agents and the Bingo Administrator received and investigated more than 100 complaints from the general public and other law enforcement agencies.
The types of organizations that are eligible for a Charitable Bingo License are bona-fide non-profit charitable, civic, religious, fraternal, patriotic, veteran, volunteer fire departments or volunteer rescue squads, or property owners' associations. These non-profits must apply to the ALE Bingo Licensing Section for a license to operate a charitable bingo game and pay an annual $200 nonrefundable fee.
Licensed non-profit agencies are allowed to operate no more than twice a week with games being 48 hours apart and no longer than five hours per session.
Beach bingo games may lawfully be played for prizes of $10.00 or less, or merchandise that is not redeemable for cash and has a value of $10.00 or less. As of October 1, 2016, an annual license is required to operate a beach bingo business within North Carolina. Click here for Beach Bingo locations in North Carolina.
Bingo Reporting Forms
- Annual Audit Report for Non-Profit Bingo INSTRUCTIONS (PDF)
- BL-1 Application for Exempt Organization License to Operate Bingo Games PDF | Word
- BL-2 Annual Audit Report of Bingo PDF | Excel
- BL-3 Bingo Session Report PDF | Excel
- BL-4a Separate Account Disbursement Summary (Prizes) PDF | Excel
- BL-4b Separate Account Disbursement Summary (Expenses) PDF | Excel
- BL-5 Application for Exempt Organization Special Occasion Permit to Operate a Bingo Game PDF | Word
- BL-6 Application for Beach Bingo License PDF | Word