Victim Compensation Services

Victims come from all walks of life

We provide resources to help put life back together

Since 1987, the Office of Victim Compensation Services has helped victims of crime and their families heal from the devastating effects of criminal violence with payments for needs including medical care, counseling, lost wages and funerals.

All services are free, and the information you share is confidential. 

How to Apply

  1. Download the application (English | Español)
  2. Call our office if you have questions.
  3. Complete, print and sign the application.
  4. Attach supporting documents.
  5. Mail the application to:
    Office of Victim Compensation Services
    4232 Mail Service Center
    Raleigh, NC 27699-4232

Video Resources

How to Apply for Victim Compensation in North Carolina

Working with Law Enforcement

Working with Medical Billing Departments

Frequently Asked Questions

Tab/Accordion Items

Victim Compensation Services may reimburse people who suffer medical expenses and lost wages as a result of being an innocent victim of a crime committed in North Carolina. Victims of rape, assault, domestic violence, drunk driving and pedestrian hit and run, as well as the families of homicide victims, are eligible to apply for financial help.

Victims of violent crime who answer YES to the following questions may be eligible for financial assistance. Victims do not need to be residents of North Carolina. 

  • Did the crime occur in North Carolina?
  • Was it reported within 72 hours?
  • Did the victim sustain a direct injury – physical or psychological?
  • Did the victim lose income or face expenses for eligible services in the first year after the crime?
  • Was the victim NOT committing a crime at the time of injury?

Eligible Not Eligible
Dental or orthodontic 
Lost wages
Domestic violence loss of household support 
Burial and funeral expenses
Crime scene cleanup
Property damage or loss
Replacement of property taken as evidence
Court fees and expenses
Pain and suffering
Mortgage or rent


If you receive a bill for the cost of a forensic medical exam, please contact our office. By law, medical providers cannot bill you or your insurance for the forensic exam. They must send the bill to the Rape Victim Assistance Program

  • Medical and counseling services
    Submit itemized bills from certified providers of medical or counseling services.
  • Lost wages
    You may submit the application with proof that you were gainfully employed at the time of the crime. You will also need a physician's note, stating the first and last dates the injured person was unable to work. If you report your income as cash, a tax return must be submitted.
  • Loss of household support due to domestic violence
    Unemployed victims who are married to the offender and who have dependent children may submit a law enforcement report and third-party confirmation of eligible children. 
  • Funeral expenses
    Submit a copy of the death certificate, itemized funeral bill and the law enforcement report. If the case is approved, our office will contact the funeral home to verify the balance.  If the expenses have not been paid, the payment will be made directly to the funeral home. 
  • Crime scene cleanup
    Submit the itemized bill from a certified biohazard cleanup company. Services may include repair or replacement of doors, locks and windows, as well as cleanup of blood stains. 
  • Dental services
    You may submit a proposed treatment plan on your dentist’s letterhead. The plan must list the services to be provided and the date services will be completed. Treatment must be completed within one year of the crime, and the provider must submit an itemized bill first to the patient’s insurance. The Office of Victim Compensation will then pay 66 2/3% of the remaining charges, which will be considered paid in full. The provider cannot bill the patient for the remainder. 

Yes. Like other compensation programs, North Carolina is a payer of last resort, meaning victims should first submit expenses to private or public insurance companies. Deductibles and co-pays may be reimbursed.

All services provided by the Office of Victim Compensation Services are free and confidential. Our staff reviews each application and may contact you to provide referrals or to request additional information. Applicants must respond to questions and provide additional documentation as requested.

From the time an application is received, the average processing time is between three to six months. Applicants will receive a letter outlining next steps.

When the claim is approved, payments will be sent directly to medical providers, or, if a victim has already paid bills – for example, prescription copays – our office will repay the victim directly. 

If a claim is denied, applicants will have 60 days to appeal the decision with the Administrative Office of the Courts. 

  • Complete and sign the application.
  • Include a law enforcement report or warrant that lists the applicant’s name.
  • Provide itemized bills.
  • Cooperate with requests from our office and from law enforcement.

  • Up to $45,000 for victims of violent crime
  • Up to $10,000 for burial and funeral expenses for homicide victims 

Legal Aid of N.C. Inc.

North Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence

North Carolina Coalition Against Sexual Assault

NC Statewide Automated Victim Assistance and Notification
1-877-NCSAVAN (627-2826)

Victim Support Services