Food Assistance

Disaster Food and Nutrition Services

The N.C. Department of Health and Human Services is providing food assistance in the form of Disaster Food and Nutrition Services benefits (formerly called food stamps) in all 35 the disaster-declared counties which include: Beaufort, Bertie, Brunswick, Camden, Carteret, Chowan, Currituck, Craven, Dare, Duplin, Edgecombe, Gates, Greene, Halifax, Hertford, Hyde, Johnston, Jones, Lenoir, Martin, Nash, New Hanover, Northampton, Onslow, Pamlico, Pasquotank, Pender, Perquimans, Pitt, Tyrrell, Vance, Warren, Washington, Wayne and Wilson counties.

The program, through the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is open to individuals who were were affected by Hurricane Irene that are not normally eligible for Food and Nutrition Services benefits (food stamps) .

Residents of the affected areas of these counties who are not currently receiving Food and Nutrition Services benefits may qualify for temporary assistance for a one-month period if:

  • their home was damaged or destroyed
  • they have disaster-related expenses
  • they lost income
  • had food loss as a result of a power loss of at least eight hours from Hurricane Irene.

Eligibility is based on available income and resources. 

Those applying for Disaster Food and Nutrition Services benefits will be asked to provide:

  • proof of their identity along with proof of residency, such as a utility bill,
  • and the social security numbers, if available, and dates of birth for all members of their household.

Applicants should apply in the county where they reside. Registration  took place September 8 - 19 and is now closed .

Households living in one of these 35 counties may use their Disaster Food and Nutrition Services Benefits to purchase hot prepared meals from retailers that are located in these counties who are authorized to accept EBT Benefits through Sept. 30, 2011.

Households who currently receive Food and Nutrition Services Benefits, did not request a replacement of benefits, can apply for a supplement of benefits if the household suffered a disaster- related expense other than food loss. Households that received replacement benefits do not need to apply for the Disaster Food and Nutrition Services Program.

To see a list of places to apply for Disaster Food and Nutrition Services, visit