Lost Document Replacement

Replacing Lost Documents


Insurance agents should have copies of policies, recent billing statements and cash-value statements. Many of these documents are available online.

Financial records

Contact banks, credit unions, credit card companies, brokerage firms and credit bureaus for copies of account statements, loan applications, credit reports and other records. Many of these documents are available online.

Federal tax records (IRS)

Taxpayers who are affected by a disaster can call (866) 562-5227 to speak with an IRS specialist trained to handle disaster-related issues.

Back copies of previously filed tax returns and all attachments, including Forms W-2, can be requested by filing Form 4506, which is the Request for Copy of Tax Return. The fee for copies is waived only in the event of a presidential declaration.

Transcripts showing most line items on these returns can also be ordered online or by calling (800) 908-9946. Form 4506T-EZ, the Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript, or Form 4506-T, the Request for Transcript of Tax Return, are available at www.irs.gov.

North Carolina tax records

Answers to most general tax questions can be found on the North Carolina Department of Revenue website at www.dornc.com. For information about individual income tax, call (877) 252-3052. For property tax questions, call (877) 308-9103.

Recorded information on frequently asked questions is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Someone is available to answer questions between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

North Carolina driver's licenses, vehicle registrations and titles

A lost or damaged driver's license or vehicle registration can be requested online at the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles' website: www.ncdot.gov/dmv.

North Carolinians who have lost a license plate must apply in person for a duplicate. Survivors can also replace a title in person or they can download, complete, notarize and mail back a title replacement form along with a check or money order for $15. A lien release letter may be necessary.

For more information about replacing documents or office addresses, go to www.ncdot.gov/dmv or call the DMV's helpline at (919)715-7000.

Vital records, Medicaid cards, food stamps

For replacement birth certificates, death certificates or divorce decrees, contact North Carolina Vital Records.

  • By phone: (919) 733-3000 ((919)733-1511 fax). The main switchboard hours are Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • By mail: North Carolina Vital Records, 1903 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-1903.

· In person: North Carolina Vital Records in the Cooper Memorial Health Building, 225 N. McDowell St., Raleigh, N.C. Office hours for walk-in service are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

To replace Medicaid cards, survivors should call their caseworker at the local County Department of Social Services.

North Carolina Food and Nutrition Services recipients can get replacement electronic bank transfer cards (formerly food stamp coupons), by calling (888) 622-7328.

Savings bonds

For replacement savings bonds, download Form PDF 1048, which can be found at www.treasurydirect.gov. Complete and mail the form to the Department of Treasury, Bureau of the Public Debt, P.O. Box 7012 (E/EE/I savings bonds) or P.O. Box 2186 (HH/H savings bonds), Parkersburg, W.V., 26106.

For more information, call (304) 480-7711.

Social Security cards

Survivors can visit their local Social Security office for help in replacing a lost or damaged Social Security card. To find the nearest Social Security Administration office, call 800-772-1213, (TTY 800-325-0778) or go online at www.SocialSecurity.gov. The helpline number will also assist with replacement cards. Identification such as a driver's license, state-issued identification card or U.S. passport is required for a duplicate card.


Survivors can get assistance with damaged or destroyed Medicare cards by calling the Medicare helpline at 800-MEDICARE (800-633-4227).

Immunization records

Check with the child's health care provider. Since 2005, an increasing number of immunization records for children in North Carolina have also been logged on the North Carolina Immunization Registry, a secure electronic database physicians and health departments across the state may access.

Contact the child's previous health care providers. Don't forget previous visits to a local health department or neighborhood clinic. Immunization records are required for school entrance. Check with the child's school or child care program that may also keep immunization records.

Teens and adults, don't forget about any vaccines that might have been required for college entrance or a job. For tips in finding immunization records from other states, visit www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/contacts-state-iis.htm. For additional tips on how to locate an immunization record, visit www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/immuniz-records.htm.

Pet vaccinations

Check with the pet's veterinarian or organization that vaccinated the animal for documents on rabies vaccinations.

« this page last modified 09/24/11 »