Emergency Management Disaster Relief and Mitigation Fund
Eligible applicants are invited to apply for flood mitigation grants funded through the Emergency Management Disaster Relief and Mitigation Fund allocated as a part of the 2021 state budget.
Eligible applicants are state agencies, units of local government, and nonprofit corporations for use in flood mitigation efforts. Total funding available for this grant program is $15 million, with the anticipated number of grants available between five and 30. Projects can be 100% funded with no cost share and are paid on a reimbursement basis.
Applications must be received by NCEM no later than 5 pm on 31 March 2022.
Funds can be used for:
- Flood mitigation efforts that stabilize areas and reduce future damage or
- Predevelopment assistance to provide small and underserved communities with technical assistance to identify and design shovel-ready projects related to disaster relief and flood mitigation.
Eligible Project Examples
(not intended to be a full list but may help applicant to identify possible needed projects):
- Construction of new or improvement of existing owned stormwater infrastructure, including natural drainage infrastructure and flood control equipment.
- Repair of existing stormwater infrastructure damaged or destroyed by flooding, which must include improvements to mitigate against future flooding.
- Engineering expenses related to planning and implementation of flood mitigation solutions.
- Elevation of buildings, elevation of controls or other improvements of water or sewer infrastructure, or other related projects to protect the infrastructure from flooding.
- Stream gauges and flood warning systems
Please Note: North Carolina Emergency Management is coordinating with Golden L.E.A.F. (Long-Term Economic Advancement Foundation), which is administering a Small Project Mitigation and Recovery Program. This program is designed for units of local governments whose flood mitigation projects are two hundred fifty thousand dollars ($250,000) or less. If your project meets this criterion, we encourage you to apply through the Golden Leaf Foundation at Flood Mitigation Program - Golden LEAF Foundation .