Frequently Asked Questions

Victim Compensation Services         

1.      What assistance is provided by this program?

Assistance is provided to innocent victims of violent crime with medical and counseling expenses. Violent crimes such as assaults, homicide, victims of a drunk driver, domestic violence and rape are considered.

2.      What are the eligibility criteria?

  • Crime, or an attempted crime, occurred in the state. If the crime occurred or is attempted against a resident of the state while in another state that does not have a victim compensation program, victim is eligible.
  • Must file an application within 2 years after the date of the criminally injurious conduct that caused the injury or death.
  • Economic loss must be incurred within 1 year from the date of injury or death except when the victim is 10 years old or younger at the time the injury occurred. - In these cases, the economic loss must be incurred within 2 years from the date of the crime that caused the injury or death.
  • The criminally injurious conduct must be reported to law enforcement within 72 hours of its occurrence, unless there is good cause for the delay.
  • Must fully cooperate with law enforcement and the prosecution regarding the case.
  • The award cannot benefit the offender or the offender’s accomplice
  • The criminally injurious conduct cannot have occurred while the victim was confined in any state, county, or city prison, correctional, youth services, or juvenile facility, or local confinement facility, or half-way house, group home, or similar facility.
  • The victim cannot have been participating in a felony at or about the time that the victim’s injury occurred.
  • Can only pay for economic loss and not for noneconomic detriment.


3.      How can I apply for this program?

You may apply by completing and notarizing an application and submit it to this program with itemized medical/counseling bills and a copy of the law enforcement report. You may access the application online at or contact Victim Services at 800-826-6200 or (919) 733-7974. Your information is kept confidential.

4.      How long does it take to be approved?

Each case is different and the claim must meet eligibility requirements. From the time an application is received, the average processing time is between 3-6 months.  For efficient processing, the processing time is reduced when the applicant attaches a copy of the law enforcement report and at least one itemized medical bill with the application.

5.      If the case is approved, how are the doctors and other bills are paid?

When the claim is approved, payments will be sent directly to the medical providers. Out-of-pocket payments made by the victim/claimant (e.g. prescriptions and co-payments) will be sent to the victim/claimant.

6.      Does someone in victim services speak Spanish?

Yes, there is a Bi-lingual Victim Advocate on staff at Victim Services.

7.      I am a victim and I have not been able to work for a while. Can I apply for loss of wages?

You may submit the application with proof that you were gainfully employed at the time of the crime and by physician's note, stating the dates the injured person was unable to work. (*documentation must list dates: from ----- to -----.)  When you report your income as cash, a tax return must be submitted.

8.      How can I apply for assistance for funeral expenses?

Submit a notarized application with a copy of the death certificate, itemized funeral bill, and the law enforcement report.

9.      Can the program help with crime scene clean-up?

Submit the itemized bill from a crime scene cleaning company. If approved, the program may assist.

10.      Is funeral home payment sent to the family?

If the case is approved, our office will contact the funeral home to verify the balance.  If the expenses have not been paid, the payment goes directly to the funeral home. The maximum amount paid is $10,000. 

11.  Can funeral home notarize the application?

Yes. The funeral home cannot be the claimant but, can notarize the application.

12.  Can we fax the application?

Yes. However, the application must also be mailed and the notary seal should be visible. The original application must be received before an award can be made.

13.  A Medical provider receives a partial payment from VCS, when will the balance be received? Or can   the patient be billed for the difference?

When the medical provider accepts 66 2/3 percent payment for a bill from this program, it is considered payment in full.  The provider may not bill the patient for the remaining amount.

14.  Does the program pay for personal property?

No. Personal property (damaged or stolen) is NOT paid through this program.

15.  How is claim appealed?

Appeal requests (petition for a contested case hearing) are submitted to the:

Office of Administrative Hearings

1711 New Hope Church Road
Raleigh, NC 27609
Call (919) 431-3000 for assistance. 

Funeral homes are required to provide the claimant with a signed contract of goods and services provided for the claims review process. 

For payment to the funeral home, claimant or responsible party paying the bill, the funeral home must submit:

A typed statement on company letterhead advising the balance on the funeral bill must be submitted. The itemized statement cannot be used as verification of balance. A statement from facility must be submitted with signature verifying the balance information.  If the balance on the bill is zero, please provide the name of the person who paid the bill including address and telephone number, copies of receipts or payment ledger showing person/persons who made payment on the funeral bill, or life insurance assignment naming beneficiary/ies. WITHOUT THIS INFORMATION IN WRITING, PAYMENT WILL NOT BE MADE.


•Treatment plans for dental services:

Proposed Treatment Plans dated xx/xx/xxxx must be completed prior to xxx (1 year from date of crime-actual date must be on provider's letterhead).  Victim Compensation is not insurance.  Dental services are not pre-approved and treatment must be completed within 1 year from the date of the crime.  Payment to the provider would be 66 2/3 % of the total amount charged.  If the provider accepts the payment, it is considered paid in full and the provider cannot bill the patient for the remainder

 Please see copy of the Proposed Treatment Plans submitted.  An itemized bill for services must be submitted after treatment is completed.  The expense must also be filed to your health insurance carrier prior to submitting a final bill to this office.

(A copy of the letter is sent to the claimant as well as the dentist listed on the treatment plan.)